Lethbridge Minute: Issue 288
Lethbridge Minute: Issue 288

Lethbridge Minute - Your weekly one-minute summary of Lethbridge politics
📅 This Week In Lethbridge: 📅
-
There are no City Council or Committee meetings scheduled in Lethbridge this week. The next meeting on the City's calendar is the Community Issues Committee, which meets on Tuesday, September 8th at 1:30 pm. City Council's next meeting follows on Tuesday, September 15th at 12:30 pm.
-
The City of Lethbridge has released new details of a $7.7-million overhaul of the downtown Southern Alberta Art Gallery, signalling that the long-budgeted project is now moving ahead. The Facilities Enhancement project will add new entrances and a barrier-free lower level in the former library building, bring the Lower Gallery up to Class A standards, and add a food services area with a third-party-operated café. Mayor Blaine Hyggen said federal and provincial grants have reduced the cost to local taxpayers to just over 6% of the total budget. The gallery will operate out of three temporary spaces during construction and is expected to reopen its modernized building to the public in spring 2028.
-
Starting October 1st, the City of Lethbridge will take on curbside recycling collection for 10 neighbouring communities under the second phase of Alberta's Extended Producer Responsibility program. The City has been contracted by Circular Materials, the not-for-profit that oversees the program, to serve communities including Nobleford, Picture Butte, Coalhurst and Diamond City, which will receive blue carts in mid-to-late September ahead of their first collection in October. Since April 2025, the program has shifted the cost of recycling paper, packaging and single-use plastics away from municipalities and onto the producers who make them. Waste and Environment Operations Manager James Nicholls said Lethbridge households that already receive curbside recycling will see no change to their service or collection days, which remain at no cost to residents.
-
Mayor Blaine Hyggen says the City of Lethbridge will move quickly to pursue a share of newly announced federal and provincial funding for water and wastewater infrastructure. The funding, unveiled by the federal and Alberta governments to help communities accommodate new housing, comes just after Council approved borrowing up to $261 million for the next phase of the Lethbridge Wastewater Treatment Plant expansion. Hyggen said the City had already written to other levels of government seeking financial support and plans to renew those requests, arguing its own investment sets a precedent for others to follow. No funding has yet been announced for Lethbridge.
- The Lethbridge Police Service carried out a large-scale, one-day enforcement operation across the city on July 28th, executing roughly 100 warrants and removing dozens of encampments in what it called ongoing efforts to address crime and disorder. Police said the operation resulted in 26 arrests and 15 criminal charges, including for open drug use and bylaw-related concerns. In one interaction, officers administered Naloxone to revive a man who appeared to be overdosing, and a 55-year-old woman was later charged with drug possession and trafficking in connection with that incident.
🚨 This Week’s Action Item: 🚨
If you had five minutes with the Minister of Municipal Affairs, what issue affecting Lethbridge would you raise first?
Let us know by replying to this email!
🪙 This Week’s Sponsor: 🪙
This week's sponsor is you! We don't have big corporate backers, so if you like what you're reading, please consider making a donation or signing up as a monthly member.
Having said that, if you are a local business and are interested in being a sponsor, send us an email and we'll talk!
Showing 1 comment
Sign in with